This Content Builder's easy editing interface lets anyone create and publish high-impact content in minutes, regardless of design skills, using Foleon's expertly-designed templates. In this article, you'll learn the basics of the Content Builder.
💡If you're a Foleon customer, you'll be familiar with creating content in the editor. Today’s editor will be renamed to Content Studio and stay available as is. Learn here what the difference is.
In this article
How does the Content Builder work?
You shouldn't reinvent the wheel for every piece of content. You'll build content fast — powered by expertly-designed templates.
"What type of templates?", you ask. There are three types that help you scale your content creation:
- Doc templates — From an annual report to an employee magazine, we've got you covered for every content type. Each Doc is made up of pages.
- Page templates — Quickly add a new page to your Doc, whether that's a welcome page or a closing page. A page is made up of one or more blocks.
- Block templates — Build your page with our extensive block library to fit the Doc to your content needs.
The good thing is, with these templates, they all fit together and work on every device (desktop, tablet, and mobile). To make these templates your own, this is what you'll need to do:
- Write captivating copy for titles, body text, and CTAs
- Implement branded images and videos
- Finetune navigation, so your audience reads through your Doc effortlessly
Here, we describe in-depth the different steps of creating Foleon Docs with the Content Builder.
📖 Looking to create content, but not sure where to start? In our article Your Content Builder Workflow, we guide you through the 5 phases of content creation, to help you understand the process.
Step 1: Build your Brand Kit
To create successful content with Content Builder, you need to get your brand together. Gather your brand colors, fonts, and visuals — everything you need to make your brand shine. If you have a company brand guide, that's a good place to start.
The Brand Kit allows you to manage your brand centrally, ensuring all Foleon Docs are automatically on-brand. Add your logo, set a color palette, choose typography, and more — helping content creators get off to a flying start.
Building your Brand Kit is an essential step in the content creation process with the Content Builder.
📖 In our article Govern your brand with Brand Kits, we explain in detail how to build your Brand Kit.
Step 2: Start with a Doc template
New Foleon Docs are created in the dashboard. On the dashboard homepage, you'll see a collection of professionally designed templates that span multiple content types and use cases:
- Marketing — eBook, Catalog, Whitepaper
- Corporate Communications — Newsletter, Annual Report
- Human Resources — Employee Magazine, Staff Handbook, Vacancy Doc
- Sales — Proposal, Catalog
You can start from scratch with a blank canvas, but we recommend selecting a Foleon Doc template that fits your story best. In this example, we've selected employee magazine.
Once you've selected a Doc template, you decide which project to place it in. Projects are like folders that can hold multiple Foleon Docs.
Select a project and click next. Don't have one yet? Start a new project by clicking create a new project.
Give your Doc a name. Don't worry; you can always change it later. Click Get Started to check your new Foleon Doc in the Content Builder.
Step 3: Add pages from a template
You've just created your first Foleon Doc. Congratulations! 🥳
It's now up to you to remove or add pages to fit your story. To make things easy for you, we’ve created a wide variety of pre-filled page templates.
Go to pages and select +new page in the bottom right corner. You'll be asked to name your page, after which you can select from our page templates.
In the example below, we're adding a page to visualize data. Select your desired page template and click create page.
Step 4: Add blocks from a template
Each page is built with blocks. To place a new block, click blocks on the left-hand side of your screen.
To make things easy for you, we’ve created various pre-made block templates. From cover blocks to footer blocks; we've got you covered.
Find the right block and drag it onto your page. You'll see a purple bar appear where you can drop the block.
💡Does a block feature a video, and do you want it to be an image? No worries! With swap element, you can easily replace the original element with the one that matches your needs.
Every block has its own purple settings bar. This is where you change the background, duplicate, or delete.
Do you want to change the order of blocks on your page? Click and hold the drag icon (4 dots) to move blocks around your page.
Step 5: Insert your content
Now it's time to make the templates your own:
- Write captivating copy for titles, body text, and CTAs 👇
- When you've added your branded visuals to the media library, implement them by replacing images and videos from the templates 👇
- Finetune navigation in the Foleon Doc settings, so your audience reads your Doc effortlessly.
💡 You style navigation elements in your Brand Kit.
What you can not do in the Content Builder
To help you focus on creating content fast, powered by templates, there are some things you're not able to do:
- Brand — When you're working in a Foleon Doc, it's not possible to change the brand settings that you've set with your Brand Kit. If you want to change your branding, you must change your Brand Kit in the dashboard and apply the changes to your Doc.
- Spacing — Because our templates have been professionally designed to fit together on every device (desktop, tablet, and mobile), you can't change the spacing to position the content on your page.
- Elements — You can't add individual elements to your page. It's only possible to work with the elements that are included in pre-designed templates. In addition, you're not able to move elements around your page or delete them. To check the exceptions, read our article Content Builder vs. Content Studio: What's the difference?
- Columns — You can't add columns to a block. It's only possible to work with the columns that are included in pre-designed templates. In addition, you're not able to move columns around your page or delete them.
- Copy to clipboard — You can only use copy to clipboard for blocks. It's not possible to use it for columns or elements.
- Control over text — You'll have less control over editing text. For example, changing the font size of a text element in a template is not possible, since it would negatively impact how your content looks on mobile.
📖 As you can see here, the Content Builder comes with limitations. Do you want to unlock Foleon's full potential with the Content Studio? Learn here what the difference is.
Who has access to the Content Builder?
Depending on your plan, you're working with the Content Builder, Content Studio, or both. This means that only some plans have access to the Content Builder.
In addition, your user role determines if you can switch between the Content Builder and the Content Studio. We offer four content creator user roles: admin, designer, publisher, and editor. Each role has a fixed set of permission settings.
📖 Want a detailed overview of the privileges of each role? Check out our article All about user role privileges.